Polarizers and Component Films Market 2022 (Annual Report)
Polarizers / component films
Manufacturers of polarizer and component films
Makers puzzled by unprecedented uptick in demand; another “bubble (economy)” for polarizers? How long would it last (June at best)?
- Why do manufacturers continue production of display panels excessively? Growing demand for larger panel size is not the only reason
- Relocation of Shanjin’s production lines of 2.3m width polarizer from Korea and start of two polarizer production lines in Jiangsu Zhangjiagang Economic Development Zone both on schedule
- Production capacity in intensifying competition/ total production capacity of over 300 million square meters
- HMO (Hengmei Optoelectronics) making huge investments, yet market is skeptical about its repeatedly changing investment plans
- HMO produces 2.5 width polarizer by 2 production lines in Fuzhou, plans to build another production site in Danyang
- On the other hand, Japanese film makers are cautious about investments
- Zeon Corporation (producer of COP membrane) and Okura Industrial Co., Ltd (producer of PMMA) are the only two companies investing; supply disruptions for TAC film /protective coating continues in 2023
- Price rise for the first time in almost 10 years; makers increasing the price of P-TAC and PET films from April 2022
- Spike in raw material price hitting the makers hard/ How long can makers of petrolium-based COP films hold out?
- Growth opportunity for makers of PMMA-based films; companies accelerate reinforcement of production/development
- Now that PET film production has peaked, “responsiveness” of outer PMMA film makers is being tested
- “Era of 2.5m wide-width polarizer” is yet to come: Shanjin has no plan to expand 2.5m polarizer production; the market expansion is up to HMO
- Would HMO focus on 2.5m polarizer even with the soaring cost of raw materials?