Publishing Industry 2018
Product Code No:
I Prospects of 1.5 Trillion-Yen Publishing Market
- Total sales of 233 companies increased by 6.2% (FY2017/FY2015), among which total sales of conventional publishing companies increased by 3.8%.
- The publishing market in 2018 is likely to decline by 7.3% to attain 1,270 Billion yen. When adding the e-book market, the total market size is expected to be 1,510 billion yen.
- The market size in 2017 declined by 7% from the previous year to be 1,370 billion yen, among which total sales of books were 715.0 billion yen, without large hot-seller books.
- Magazine sales amount decreased by 10.8%. Monthly magazines decreased by 11.1%, the first time to record double-digit decline. Sluggish sales of women’s magazines and comics have expanded the margin of decline.
- The total profit ratio of 231 companies was 3.0%, conspicuous decline of earning power can be seen in the main business.
- How publishers survive in the era of digitalization and electronic books. The sales of the new e-commerce business launched by Shueisha, a publisher, have levelled off. Online advertisement has been raised. Kadokawa aims to construct Tokorozawa Sakura Town
- In spite of steady expansion in the sales of e-book at leading publishers, sudden feeling of slowdown was unavoidable in 2018 and later. Slowdown of magazines and comics may influenced largely by pirated websites.
- Forecast of e-book market size
- Digital comic book market outlook
- Total publishing market (existing publishing market + e-book market)
- Trends of leading publishers
- Status of e-book stores
- Table of e-book market size forecast
- The book market in 2017 declined by 3.0% to 715.2 billion yen. The decline is 11 years in a row. The books that attracted attention have sold well, but the market of paperback books has dragged down the entire market.
- From January to May of 2018, the sales of books decreased by 3.9%. The novel and later manga "How Do You Live?" has sold tremendously.
- Publishing industry with so many problems and issues to be solved.
- Trends of book-store business
- Sales ranking and profit trends of book retail stores
II Magazine Market Analysis
- Transition of Number of Magazines Sold
- The sales of comics largely declined in 2017, the changes of market structure becoming obvious.
- Advertising revenue shifting to online has become conspicuous.
- Fashion magazines for teens and 20s have largely declined. The publisher "Takarajima" has stood out of the rest of the publishers due its strategy of appendix that came with the magazines.
- Number of magazines started being published was only 69, the least number ever, which affected the revenues from advertisement.
- Number of magazines discontinued was only 107. In 2018, there were many comic books that discontinued.
- Leading Magazines/Number of Magazines Actually Sold and Ranking of Advertising Revene
- Status of 450 Magazines Sold
- Weekly Magazines
- Fashion Magazines for Younger Generations
- Casual Fashion Magazines for Younger Generations
- Fashion Magazines for Working Women
- Lifestyle Magazines/Casual Fashion Magazines for Women in 20s
- Fashion Magazines for Women in 30s
- Fashion Magazines for Women in 40s
- Avant-Garde Fashion Mode Magazines
- Cosmetics/Make-Up Magazines
- Lifestyle Magazines
- Fashion Magazines for the Teens
- Local Town/City Magazines
- Photo Magazines
- Lifestyle/Product Information Magazines
- Cooking/ Gourmet Magazines
- Diet/Health Magazines
- Comic Magazines for Boys
- Monthly Comic Magazines for Boys
- Comic Magazines for Young Men
- Comic Magazines for Women
- Comic Magazines for Girls
- Comics (books)
III Actual Sales and Prospects of Publishers
- Current status and outlook of publishers
- Profit-making-power ranking among publishers
- Questionnaire to Book Stores regarding Publishers
IV Lower Cost Required at Publishers
- Research of publishers and production companies
- Trends in paper (prices/quality) used by publishers
V Status of Publishers in Structural Reform Period
- Competitive Landscape in Publishing Industry (Otowa Group VS Hitotsubashi Group
- Business Strategies at Leading Publishers
- Gakken Holdings
- Information Publishers (Shift from Paper to Digital)
- Publishers of Comics
- Publishers of Magazines for Women
- Prestige Publishers
- Publishers of Children's Books
- Publishers of Medical Documents
- Publishers of Documents regarding Regulations
- Text-Book Publishers
- Economics Publishers
- Noteworthy Publishers 1
- Noteworthy Publishers 2
- Publishing Strategies by Newspaper Companies
VI Profiles of Publishers