Flexible Display Materials Market 2014
Product Code No:
High barrier films, heat resistant films, hard coat films, and super-thin sheet glass
I Outlook of Flexible Display Materials Market
- Flexible device markets enter formative phase from pioneering phase after 2014.
- Glass and films are used for display materials, and each has its advantages and disadvantages.
- Joint development with users for specification of products and early establishment of the "de facto standard" are required.
- It is important for the development process to have wider room to accept various ideas and thoughts that may lead to extensive possibilities from large areas.
II Trends in Flexible Display Materials Market
- Trends in High Barrier Film Market
- As more and more electronic devices become flexible, barrier films and substrates attract attention as materials for such devices in place of glass.
- Ultra-high barrier film market with the level of 10-6g/㎡/day is expected to be launched in around 2014 to 2015.
- Flexible films have more advantages than glass even though such glass has also been flexibilized, because the films have less risks of breaking up during the production process.
- High barrier films with the level of 10-3～10-4g/㎡/day can be produced using the existing technologies and facilities.
- A strategy should be prepared when price competition occurs after flexible displays are able to be mass produced.
- Trends in Heat Resistant Film Market
- Although each company has been developing the heat resistant films, those that have actually been marketized are limited.
- Trends in Hard Coat Film Market
- Develoment of hard coat films with the surface hardness 9H are proceeding.
- Trends in Super-Thin Sheet Glass Market
- A series of super-thin sheet glass with thickness of 0.1mm or less, available for Roll to Roll, have been released in 2013.
- The full launch of the market is likely to be around 2015.
- The solution of preventing a risk of breakage, the largest challenge for the glass, has been developed.
- The industry leader, Corning, has proposed Roll to Roll of Willow Glass that have been processed with original edge-tab method.
III Outlook and Strategieis of Manufacturers of Flexible Display Materials