Polarizing/Retardation Films Market 2013 (Semi-Annual Report, Latter)
Polarizing films, retardation films, TAC films, circularly polarizing plates, etc.
Manufacturers of polarizer and retardation films
I Trends in Polarizing/Retardation Films Market
- Polarizing Films
- “Roll to Panel”, the processing at panel factories is a significant strategy
- Larger market share expected by Nitto Denko and Sumitomo Chemical Company for Liquid crystal displays made by Sharp/Panasonic
- Top three robust, unchanged makers in Korea are Nitto Denko, DONGWOO FINE-CHE, and LG Chem,Ltd.
- SANRITZ Corporation has slightly changed their direction, and Cheil Industries Inc. has been on the way for radical overhaul of business.
- LG Chem,Ltd grasps the needs in the products from Chinese panel manufacturers
- Retardation Films
- Used for Large Items/Products
- WV(Wide-View) films developed by Fujifilm Corporation is now the standard in TN (Twisted Nematic) mode-Thin Film Transistor Liquid Crystal Display market.
- The market now turns for tablets that use thin WVs.
- Market share can be largely changed in VA through 2012-2013.
- Manufacturers are developing TAC films that has "moisture permeability" by 2014/
- For Liquid Crystal Displays using IPS, Z-TAC films are overwhelming, but acrylic films are increasing in market share.
- Used for Middle Sized/Small Products
- Steady demands are expected for retardation films used for STN (Super-twisted nematic display).
- Demands for 3D glasses have recovered after inventory has been adjusted.
- Retardation film share by polarization film for STN (actual in 2012, prospect for 2013).
- Zeon Corporation occupies the largest share in small VA market.
- Nitto Denko occupies 100% for new versions of iPad and iPad mini.
- Circular polarization films for OLED are supplied by Nitto Denko and Sumitomo Chemical Company. Nitto Denko offers new type of film.
- Almost all the mid-to-small size VAs have been supplied by Nitto Denko and Zeon Corporation
- The latest version of polarization film materials for iPhone6 (anonym) has become even thinner.
- Retardation films for the latest iPad and iPad mini are 100% supplied by Nitto Denko, with the same material composition.
- TAC Films
- The project of TAC Protection Films consisted of 15% of PMMA by 2015 has been delayed due to technological challenges
- Polarization firms for PET are lead by Cheil Industries. Whether this tendency continues or not depends on full adoption for panels for TVs in China.
- Technologies and extensive strategies from Fujifilm Corporation cannot be ignored.
II Outlook and Strategies of Polarizers/Retardation Films Manufacturers (13 Companies)
- LG Chem,Ltd
- SANRITZ CORPORATION
- Polatechno Co.,Ltd.
- Chi Mei Materials Technology Corporation
- BenQ Materials Corporation
- CHEIL INDUSTRIES CO., LTD.
- OPTIMAX TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION
- DAE MYUNG MATERIALS Co.,Ltd
- SHENZHEN SAPO PHOTOELECTRIC CO.,LTD
- Shenzhen Sunnypol Optoelectronics Co.,Ltd
- WINDA Opto-Electronics Co.,LTD
- Fujifilm Corporation
- JX Nippon Oil & Energy Corporation