No.2399
04/20/2020

Radiotherapy Facilities Market in Japan: Key Research Findings 2020

Yano Research Institute (the President, Takashi Mizukoshi) has conducted the domestic radiotherapy facilities market and has found out the transition of the market, trends of radiotherapy facilities as well as the makers, and future outlook. This paper clarifies the result of the updated research on therapeutic instruments at radiotherapy facilities.


Progress of Replacing Therapeutic Instruments at Radiotherapy Facilities
Progress of Replacing Therapeutic Instruments at Radiotherapy Facilities

Market Overview

According to the material at National Cancer Center, cancer incidents was recorded as 1,017,200 cases in 2019, and is expected to be on the rise to 1,083,590 cases from 2020 to 2024. This seems to stem from rise of people taking cancer screening, and from early detection and treatment of cancer due to improved performance of cancer screening.

Noteworthy Topics

Radiotherapy Instruments Market Supported Mainly by Replacement, but Replacement Rate Remained at 40%

Regarding the number of radiotherapy and peripheral instruments which was found out as 233 units by the last research that had taken place from October to November 2016, the follow-up survey was conducted between January and February 2020 and found out the number of instruments replaced to be 88 units (37.8%), indicating that the rest of 145 units (62.2%) was still being used.

The responses to the mailed questionnaire during the same period regarding the radiotherapy facilities showed some challenges, such as “no increase in the number of patients can be expected,” and “shortage in the specialized staff,” which seemed to have affected the belated replacement of radiotherapy instruments.

As the measures against cancer by the government, “3rd-Term Basic Plan for Measures against Cancer” has been in progress since 2018, stipulating to provide wealth of cancer treatments that are not only cancer genome medicine but also surgical treatment, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, and immunotherapy. For radiotherapy, providing of enough ion beam radiation therapy, extensive employment of palliative radiotherapy, equal accessibility to radiotherapy, and cross-prefectural network system, and human resources development including medical physicians were listed in the Plan.

Increase of cancer incidents is likely to drive extensive use of palliative radiotherapy, interaction of molecular target drugs and cancer genome medicine, and cross-prefectural network system to be built, which is expected to continuously expand the radiotherapy market size. 

Research Outline

1.Research Period: January to March 2020
2.Research Object: Domestic manufacturers of radiotherapy equipment, providers of radiotherapy related services, and nationwide hospitals and clinics conducting radiotherapy treatment
3.Research Methogology: Face-to-face interviews by the specialized researchers, surveys via telephone, mailed questionnaire, and literature search

Research regarding Radiotherapy Facilities

The survey was conducted to clarify the status of radiotherapy facilities and progress in introducing highly-sophisticated radiotherapy instruments in the domestic secondary medical areas (a medical administrative area under the Medical Care Law by which every prefectural government is expected to provide general medical care supplies such as beds for inpatients.)  Also, the questionnaire sent and interviews via telephone were conducted on radiotherapy treatment to those hospitals and clinics performing the treatment and responded back by 157 facilities.  

<Products and Services in the Market>

Radiotherapy instrument (linear accelerator, cyber knife, gamma knife, particle therapy), radiotherapy system, (therapy planning system, dosimetric verification system, RIS (radiology information system)

Published Report

Contact Us

©2019 Yano Research Institute Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
The copyright and all other rights pertaining to this report belong to Yano Research Institute.
Please contact our PR team when quoting the report contents for the purpose other than media coverage.
Depending on the purpose of using our report, we may ask you to present your sentences for confirmation beforehand.