Global Mobile Phones Market: Key Research Findings 2016
- Research period: June to September, 2016
- Research target: Mobile phone/smartphone manufacturers, domestic semiconductor manufacturers, telecommunication businesses, and other organizations in the industry
- Research methodologies: Face-to-face interviews, telephone/email surveys, and literature research
<What is a 4G (Fourth Generation) Mobile Phone Service? >
The fourth generation (4G) mobile phone service in this research indicate those service standards including LTE-Advanced, LTE-Advanced Pro, and Wireless MAN-Advanced (WiMAX2) standards, in addition to those so-called 3.9 generation-services such as LTE (Long Term Evolution) standard and TD-LTE (TDD), regulated by ITU (International Telecommunication Union). Note that WiMAX and HSPA+ standards are not included.
Summary of Research Findings
- Global Number of Subscriptions of Mobile Phone Services Attained 7.9 Billion in 2015, Projected to Achieve 9.150 Billion by 2022
The global number of subscriptions of mobile phone (communication) services in 2015 attained 7,942,787 thousand, more than 7.9 billion, which indicates that the ownership rate of mobile phones against the global population accounts for 111.5%. The global number of subscriptions in 2016 is likely to rise to 8,208,195 thousand (the mobile-phone ownership rate to account for 112.2%), and is expected to be 9,148,380 thousand by 2022, the ownership rate to achieve 115.6%.
- Global Number of Subscriptions of 4G in 2016 Likely to Achieve 1,816.08 Million
The fourth generation (4G) mobile phone services have progressively been provided to developed countries as well as many of emerging countries, which made the global number of subscriptions of the services in 2015 to exceed 1 billion. As 4G services have been adopted by various countries throughout the world, rapid expansion is expected in 2016, when the global number of subscriptions of the services to attain 1,816,080 thousand.
- Global Shipment Volume of Handsets in 2016 Projected to Attain 1,960,760 Thousand Units
Global number of handsets (total of feature phones and smartphones) to be shipped in 2016 is expected to reach 1,960,760 thousand. Among them, number of feature phones is projected to be 446,640 thousand, and number of smartphones 1,514,120 thousand. Overall shipment volume of handsets is likely to be about the same as that of the previous year.
- Figure 1: Transition of Global Number of Subscription of Mobile Phones Services and Mobile Phones Ownership Rate
- Figure 2: Transition of Global Number of Subscription of Mobile Communication Services by Generation
- Figure 3: Transition of Global Market Size of Handsets (Feature Phones + Smartphones)