In-vehicle Touchscreen/Component Market 2017
Product Code No:
In-vehicle Touchscreen and Components
I Current Status and Future Outlook of In-vehicle Touchscreen/Component Market
- The eventual form of touchscreens is those that make drivers excited.
- Makers should establish unique position in the market by developing and utilizing technologies.
- What to appeal in in-vehicle touchscreens is new values based on technological innovation rather than price competition.
- There is room to develop new products and new technologies in in-vehicle touchscreens.
- Customer needs for in-vehicle touchscreens to be larger in size, different shapes, and unique designs with curved surface have increased.
- Competition between incell/oncell and outcell has started.
II Technological Trends of In-vehicle Touchscreen/Components
- The in-vehicle capacitive touchscreen market in 2016 recorded 44.34 million screens, 113.1% of the size of the previous year.
- Shift of demands from resistive touchscreens to capacitive sensing touchscreens has been accelerated, with 51.7% of the entire market becoming capacitive by 2017.
- Film on Glass (FG) resistive touchscreens are promoted for car audios and for emerging countries.
- Due to lightness in weight and prices, OGS, PG2/GG2 has widened the demand.
- Introduction of PFF (including those molded products) has been increasing due not only to lightness in weight, but also improved designs with curved surface and different shapes.
- The in-vehicle touchscreen market, both resistive and capacitive, has been led by Japanese manufacturers.
- New entries of in-vehicle touchscreen market by large touchscreen makers have accelerated, together with expansion of Chinese local makers.
- Not only JDI and LGD have started mass-manufacturing in-vehicle in-cell touchscreens in 2017, Innolux is planning to produce on-cell within 2017
- Touchscreen makers should make use of their advantage of their out-cell production by creating their in-vehicle touchscreens to be larger in size and with curved surface.
- In order to make in-vehicle touchscreens larger in size, more sensitive, different shapes, and to make curved surface, metal mesh touchscreens are to be mass produced from summer, 2017.
- Key to increase user introductions is to secure trust by improving technological completeness.
- There are attempts at makers to process their own cover lenses in order to respond to diverse needs.
- Driver ICs for larger screens have become marketed in responding to larger in-vehicle touchscreens.
- Curved surface of touchscreens have been advanced to be in combination with curved cover lenses.
- To stabilize the quality and procurement of molded products, cooperation with molded product makers have been made one after another.
- Important theme is the development of capacitive touch switches and touchscreen input devices
- Key of next-generation growth is research and studies of "Touch plus alfa," i.e., haptics and 3D gesture, etc.
- Technological Trends of Components for In-vehicle Touchscreens:
- ITO Glasses/ITO Films
- Cover Market (Cover Glasses/Plastic Covers)
- OCA/OCR Market
- Leader Line Material Market
III Perspectives and Strategies of Makers of In-Vehicle Touchscreens and Components