Publishing Industry 2016
Product Code No:
I 2.5 Trillion-Yen Publishing Market Prospects
- Total sales of 296 companies increased by 4.2% (FY2014/FY2015), among which total sales of conventional publishing companies increased by 2.0%.
- The publishing market in 2016 is likely to decline by 4.0% to attain 1,460 Billion yen. When adding the e-book market, the total market size is expected to be 1,659 billion yen.
- The market size in 2015 was 1,500 billion yen, among which total sales of books achieved 742.0 billion yen, boosted by "Hibana" and other best-seller books.
- Magazine sales amount decreased by 8.4%. Weekly magazines decreased by 13.6%, the first time to record double-digit decline. Major monthly magazines decreased.
- The total profit ratio of 296 companies was 1.5%, conspicuous decline of earning power can be seen in mid-size publishers.
- How publishers survive in the era of digitalization and electronic books. The sales of the new e-commerce business launched by Shueisha, a publisher, are to attain more than 5 billion yen. Kadokawa aims for new stage by integrating the business management
- The sales of e-book in leading publishers are expected to expand to 10 billion-yen market. The market size from 2015 to 2016 is likely to increase by 30%, out of which comic books occupy 80% or less.
- Forecast of e-book market size
- Forecast of e-book market size by category
- Digital comic book market outlook
- Total publishing market (existing publishing market + e-book market)
- Trends in leading publishers
- Status of e-book stores
- Table of e-book market size forecast
- The book market in 2015 declined by 1.7% to 741.9 billion yen. The decline is 9 years in a row, but the latest decrease was subtle due to great hit by the book "Hibana."
- From January to May of 2016, the sales of books increased by 2.1% because of boom of Kakuei Tanaka, who once was a prime minister of Japan, and of emergence of several books that have been talked about as some candidates of book-store awards. However, in the latter half of the year, there may be some negative reaction from the too-great hit "Hibana."
- Publishing industry with so many problems and issues to be solved.
- Trends in book-store business
- Sales ranking of book retail stores and their profit trends
II Magazine Market Analysis
- Transition of Number of Magazines Sold
- The sales in 2015 marked the least sales ever. Serious sales slump seen for every magazine.
- Advertising revenue shifting to online.
- Fashion magazines for teens and 20s have largely declined. Stability seen for fashion magazines for women in 40s and 50s.
- Number of magazines started being published in 2015 was only 70, the least number ever.
- Number of magazines discontinued was only 117, which decreased when compared with the number in previous year.
- Leading Magazines/Number of Magazines Actually Sold and Ranking of Advertising Revene
- Status of 450 Magazines Sold
- Weekly Magazines
- Fashion Magazines for Younger Generations
- Casual Fashion Magazines for Younger Generations
- Fashion Magazines for Working Women
- Lifestyle Magazines/Casual Fashion Magazines for Women in Late 20s
- Fashion Magazines for Women in 30s
- Fashion Magazines for Women in 40s
- Avant-Garde Fashion Mode Magazines
- Cosmetics/Make-Up Magazines
- Lifestyle Magazines
- Fashion Magazines for Those in Early Teens
- Local Town/City Magazines
- Weekly Pictorial Magazines
- Lifestyle/Product Information Magazines
- Gourmet/Cooking Magazines
- Magazines for Diet/Health Drastically Declined
- Comic Magazines for Boys
- Monthly Comic Magazines for Boys
- Comic Magazines for Young Men
- Comic Magazines for Women
- Comic Magazines for Girls
- Comics (books)
III Actual Sales and Prospects of Publishers
- Current status and outlook of publishers
- Profit-making-power ranking among publishing companies
- Questionnaire to Book Stores regarding Publishers
IV Lower Cost Required at Publishers
- Research of publishers and production companies
- Trends in paper (prices/quality) used by publishers
V Status of Publishers in Structural Reform Period
- Competitive Landscape in Publishing Industry (Otowa Group VS Hitotsubashi Group
- Business Strategies at Leading Publishers
- Gakken Holdings
- Infomation Publishers (Shift from Paper to Digital)
- Publishers of Comics
- Publishers of Magazines for Women
- Prestige Publishers
- Publishers of Children's Books
- Publishers of Medical Documents
- Publishers of Documents regarding Regulations
- Text-Book Publishers
- Economics Publishers
- Noteworthy Publishers 1
- Noteworthy Publishers 2