Lighting Fixture Market in Japan: Key Research Findings 2017
- Research period: From October 2016 to January 2017
- Research targets: Lighting fixture manufacturers, etc.
- Research methodologies: Face-to-face interviews by the specialized researchers and literature research
<What is the lighting fixture market?>
The lighting fixture market in this research indicates the market of lighting fixtures/equipment and lamps using conventional light sources (incandescent lights, fluorescent lights, and high-pressure discharge lamps) and LEDs placed at buildings and streets/roads for general lighting purposes. The market consists of the following categories: 1) Lighting fixtures using conventional light sources, 2) Lamps using conventional light sources, 3) LED lighting fixtures, and 4) LED lamps. Those lighting fixtures/equipment for automobiles, industrial purposes, and for machinery are not included.
Summary of Research Findings
- Size of Lighting Fixture Market for General Lighting Purposes in 2016 Projected to Decline by 2.9% on Y-o-Y Basis to 1,027.7 Billion Yen
Size of the lighting fixture market for general lighting purposes in 2016 is projected to fall by 2.9% from the previous year to attain 1,027.694 billion yen (based on the shipment values at manufacturers). The market saw a tremendous growth of LED demand due to high energy efficiency triggered by the Great East Japan Earthquake occurred in 2011 which increased energy-saving consciousness among consumers and brought the market into double-digit growth in 2011 and 2012. The market has gradually quietened down to a slight growth in 2014 and 2015. Because of large decrease in lamp demand, the market in 2016 is expected to decline by 2.9% on year-over-year basis.
- Size of Lighting Fixture Market for General Lighting Purposes in 2017 Projected to Decline by 2.7% on Y-o-Y Basis to 1,000 Billion Yen, and Rise by 0.4% to 1,004 Billion Yen in 2018
It is expected that size of the lighting fixture market for general lighting purposes in 2017 to be 1 trillion yen (based on the shipment values at manufacturers), a decrease by 2.7% from the previous year, but to rise in 2018 by 0.4% to achieve 1,004 billion yen. Although prolonged LED lives may scale down the lighting fixture market in 2017 from the previous year, progressive replacement from LED lamps to LED lighting fixtures is likely to increase LED lighting fixture demands and to raise the market marginally in 2018.
- Figure 1: Transition and Forecast of Lighting Fixture Market Size