Natural/Organic Cosmetics Market in Japan: Key Research Findings 2016
- Research period: March to May, 2016
- Research target: Natural/organic cosmetic manufacturers, retailers and other related organizations
- Research methodologies: Face-to-face interviews with expert researchers, surveys via telephone/email, and consumer survey
<What are Natural Cosmetics?>
Natural cosmetics in this research indicate those cosmetics applicable to both of the following conditions: 1) Natural plants are used as chief ingredients; 2) Use of chemically-synthesized compounds is restrained.
<What are Organic Cosmetics?>
Organic cosmetics in this research indicate those cosmetics that fall into one of the following conditions: 1) Those certified as “organic” by a third-party institution, 2) Organic materials from in-house or tie-up farms are used in large part of ingredients, and 3) Organic materials are used in most of “brand line up”.
Summary of Research Findings
- Natural/Organic Cosmetics Market in FY2015 Rose by 6.0% to Reach 117.5 Billion Yen
The natural/organic cosmetics market in FY2015 rose by 6.0% from the previous year to attain 117.5 billion yen, based on the shipment value at brand manufacturers. The robust growth is due to larger number of women with sensitive skins, rising tendency to value safety-oriented products, and more consumers treasuring environment-conscious lifestyles. In addition, progressive development of high-functional products marketed by some market players has attracted customers who had never been interested in natural/organic cosmetics before, which brought about further market expansion.
- Customers Have Multiple Access Points to Natural/Organic Cosmetics through Multi-Channel Systems
While natural cosmetics brands have increased sales through mail orders and wholesaling, the leading organic cosmetic brands have started opening new specialty stores, which not only expanded direct sales rate but it also continued its sales growth through wholesale channel. With development of multi-channel systems, the natural/organic cosmetics market shows increasing numbers of points of contact between the brands and consumers.
- With Rising Tendency Likely to Continue, Natural/Organic Cosmetics Market Projected to Rise by 4.6% to Achieve 122.9 Billion Yen by FY2016, and by 4.2% to Attain 128.1 Billion Yen by FY2017
In addition to establishment of environment-friendly lifestyles, broader access to customers stemming from increasing number of stores opened by leading cosmetic brands, growing number of stores handling such cosmetics regardless of online or real stores, and improved product awareness through frequent appearance in fashion and/or beauty magazines, size of the natural/organic cosmetics market is expected to grow by 4.6% from the previous year to attain 122.9 billion yen in FY2016, and rise by 4.2% to achieve 128.1billion yen in FY2017, based on the shipment value from brand manufacturers.
- Figure 1 :Transition of Size of Natural/Organic Cosmetics Market