No.2157
07/29/2019

Digital Content Market in Japan: Key Research Findings 2019

Yano Research Institute (the President, Takashi Mizukoshi) has conducted a survey on the market of digital contents (e-books, music streaming, movie streaming, SNS, ecommerce, online advertisement, and online information services) and has found out the market outline, the trends of leading companies. This report mainly covers the distribution structure of e-books.


Distribution Structure of E-Books
Distribution Structure of E-Books

Summary of Research Findings

The figure shows the distribution structure of e-books. When an e-book is sold at an e-bookstore, about 40 to 50% of the sales value (retail price) is proportionately allotted to the e-bookstore and the publisher (the rate varies according to the publisher and the book). When an e-book is sold via an app store, about 30% of the retail price goes to the app store and the rest of about 70% will be proportionately allotted to the e-bookstore and the publisher, so that in this case the rate for the both decreases. However, in many cases, e-bookstores only provide apps through the viewer only, or do not provide the apps in the first place. On the other hand, the main customers of manga apps are the young people who are already used to the payment through apps, so that manga apps are mainly bought through app stores.

Noteworthy Topics

Increased Utilization of Customer Data from QR Code Payment

In the latter half of 2018, a series of domestic leading platform businesses have carried out large-scale promotions aiming to outspread their in-house QR code payment.  ​

In the background, the businesses have intended to attract customers into their sales territory, as well as to obtain the purchase data of real-store users. These customer data and purchase history are used by each enterprise for its advertisement activities, aiming to improve the accuracy of targeted advertisement and also to measure the effect of purchase activities by the customers at real stores. Furthermore, the data is applicable in recommendation functions in the digital contents services provided by each of platform businesses, which is likely to contribute to more advanced marketing measures.

Research Outline

1.Research Period: December, 2018 to March, 2019
2.Research Object: Digital contents (e-books, music streaming, movie streaming, SNS, ecommerce, online advertisement, and online information services)
3.Research Methogology: Face-to-face interviews by the expert researchers and literature research

Digital Contents Market

The digital contents market in this research indicates the market of the online services available via smartphones and PCs, such as e-books, music streaming, movie streaming, SNS, ecommerce, online advertisement, and online information services.

<Products and Services in the Market>

E-books, music streaming, movie streaming, SNS, ecommerce, online advertisement, and online information services

Published Report

Contact Us

©2019 Yano Research Institute Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
The copyright and all other rights pertaining to this report belong to Yano Research Institute.
Please contact our PR team when quoting the report contents for the purpose other than media coverage.
Depending on the purpose of using our report, we may ask you to present your sentences for confirmation beforehand.