Health Food Market in Japan: Key Research Findings 2018
- Research period: August 2017 to January 2018
- Research objects: Health food OEM, sellers of health food (health food manufacturers, general food manufacturers, and pharmaceutical manufacturers), health food organizations, and the authorities concerned
- Research methodologies: Face-to-face interviews by the specialized researchers, surveys via telephone/FAX, mailed or emailed questionnaire, and literature research
<What is Health Food?>
Health food in this research indicates functional food in forms of tablets, capsules, powder, or bottled liquid.
Summary of Research Findings
- Health Food Market in FY2017 Projected to Attain 761,900 Million Yen, 100.9% on Y-o-Y Basis
Size of the domestic health food market in FY2017 is likely to achieve 761,900 million yen, 100.9% of that of the previous fiscal year, based on the shipment value at manufacturers. In addition to middle-aged and elderly people who are the primary users of health food, increasing number of younger people has become obviously conscious of health and beauty, with their interest on making healthy body invigorating the health food market in some cases. As consumers trying to maintain or press ahead with health seem to be on the rise, increase of users is expected to expand the health food market.
- Market Size of Foods with Function Claims Attained 136,460 Million Yen in FY2016, and Projected to Achieve 164,900 Million Yen by FY2017
The market size of Foods with Function Claims, based on the shipment value at manufacturers, has reached 136,460 million yen in FY2016, and is likely to attain 164,900 million yen by FY2017. The market share by food type in FY2017 is: Supplement 45.7%, other processed food 48.9%, and Fresh food 5.4%.
- 30% of Consumers in 30s and Over Have Experience of Taking Foods with Function Claims
According to the questionnaire to the consumers in their 30s and over in relation to this research asking about the awareness and ingestion of Foods with Function Claims, about 70% knew about Function Claims, out of which about 30% already had such foods. In addition, the response rate that accounted for more than 20% respectively for the question which of the functions of such Foods with Function Claims that they had been interested in were: Combating of visceral fat, neutral fat, and anti-cholesterol.
- Figure 2: The Market Size of Foods with Function Claims
- Figure 3: Composition Ratio of Foods with Function Claims by Food Type (FY2017 Prospect)
- Figure 4: Awareness and Ingestion of Foods with Function Claims