Shoes and Footwear Market in Japan: Key Research Findings 2016
- Research period: September to December, 2016
- Research target: Manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers in the industry of shoes, footwear and shoe materials, and companies in peripheral industries, importers and exporters
- Research methodologies: Face-to-face interviews by the expert researchers, questionnaire, and literature research using statistic data from government ministries and agencies, and related organizations.
<What are Shoes and Footwear?>
Shoes and footwear in this research indicate the products categorized as shoes and footwear in the Trade Statistics and Industrial Statistics, such as “leather shoes,” “rubber shoes,” “chemical shoes,” “sandals,” and others.
Summary of Research Findings
- Shoes and Footwear Retail Market in FY2015 Attained 1,415.0 Billion Yen, 100.8% on Y-o-Y Basis
Size of the FY2015 domestic shoes and footwear retail market attained 1,415 billion yen, 100.8% of that of the previous fiscal year. In spite of men’s and women’ shoes failing to reach the previous-fiscal-year results, the favorable sales of sport shoes and children’s shoes have driven the entire market size, especially because the sports shoes, the category of which occupying 40% of the entire market, have attained the positive growth for four years in a row due to the recent sneaker boom.
- FY2016 Domestic Shoes and Footwear Market Expected to Scale Down to 1,390 Billion Yen, 98.2% on Y-o-Y Basis, Whereas Sports Shoes Managed to Attain 103.7% on Y-o-Y Basis
The domestic shoes and footwear retail market in FY2016 is projected to scale down to 1,390 billion yen, 98.2% of the size of the previous fiscal year. The decreased demand from foreign visitors and declining sales tendency of men’s and women’ shoes are likely to shift the market to negative growth. On the other hand, however, the sports shoes market is likely to keep being on the rise to attain 643.0 billion yen, 103.7% on year-over-year basis, due to steadfast demand of casual sneakers, though the growth rate of the market may somewhat slow down.
- Figure and Table 1: Transition of Size of Shoes and Footwear Retail Market
- Table 1: Transition of Shoes and Footwear Retail Market by Item