PCO/TCO/Fumigation Service Market in Japan: Key Research Findings 2016
- Research period: August to November, 2016
- Research target: Providers of PCO (Pest Control Operator) services, TCO (Termite Control Operator) services, and fumigation services
- Research methodologies: Face-to-face research by the expert researchers, surveys via telephone, and literature research
<What is the PCO/TCO/Fumigation Service Market?>
A PCO (Pest Control Operator) service indicates a service to prevent, control, and exterminate pests that endanger public health such as cockroaches, rats, flies, mosquitos, and mites. A TCO (Termite Control Operator) service indicates a service to prevent, control, and exterminate termite, and a fumigation service indicates a service of fumigation treatment on imported/exported agricultural products, cultural assets, and grain warehouses, complying with the relevant regulations including the Plant Protection Law. Note that the market does not include pesticides or repellent chemicals themselves but only the services to expel pests. Note also that the market excludes peripheral equipment like apparatuses for pesticide spray and protective clothing.
Summary of Research Findings
- FY2015 PCO/TCO Fumigation Service Market Attained 125.860 Billion Yen, 103.4% on Y-o-Y Basis
The domestic market of PCO (Pest Control Operator), TCO (Termite Control Operator), and fumigation services in FY2015 attained 125.860 billion yen, 103.4% of the size of the previous fiscal year, based on the sales of the businesses. It seems that the market has bottomed out from the prolonged stagnation.
- Leading PCO Service Providers Expanded Business to Provide Consultation Services including Total Hygiene Management
Some large PCO service providers have increased the sales by providing extensive services, from consulting services to prevent contamination at factories for manufacturing foods, drugs, and etc. and to regularly-scheduled hygiene management services. Such sales expansion has widened the gaps between the leading service providers and small-to-mid-size providers.
- FY2016 PCO/TCO Fumigation Service Market Projected to Achieve 127.800 Billion Yen, 101.5% on Y-o-Y Basis
The market of PCO, TCO, and fumigation service for FY2016 is expected to achieve 127.800 billion yen, 101.5% of the size of the previous fiscal year, based on the sales of the businesses.
The demand of PCO services has increased as the user companies, especially food manufacturers, have started taking measures to prevent contamination and to thoroughly extinguish pests due to the recent contamination incidents. The demand of TCO services is supported by the demand of underfloor works aiming to protect from and extinguish termite, stemming from the growing awareness for making the residence long-life and maintained in good condition involving disaster prevention. In fumigation service category, the demand to fumigate exporting woods and etc., has increased. The above factors drove the market to rise slightly.
- Figure & Table 1: Transition of PCO/TCO/Fumigation Service Market Size